Some homeowners prefer a more organic and chemical free approach to controlling the pests in their home. They’re worried about the environment or carcinogens, so they want to try a more holistic approach to combating bedbugs, fleas, roaches, mice and scorpions. Some of these holistic do-it-yourself techniques do work.
The question is – are you willing to live with a bug or rodent problem long enough to find out?
Preventing Pests is a Green Option
The best way to stop pests in their tracks is to seal up all the cracks on the outside of your home that are like a revolving door for the scorpions and spiders that seek shelter in the comfortable confines of human spaces. Clearing landscaping and debris away from your home will eliminate many of the hiding places where snakes and scorpions like to hang out.
On the inside, cleanliness will go a long way toward making your home more unattractive to roaches and ants. Make sure your kitchen counter is always spotless and vacuum frequently. Bathe your pets and keep their bedding clean. Have your children clean their rooms regularly, too – the whole family can get involved in sweeping the crumbs away.
While prevention is the best option in the case of in-home pests, some of the other green options include these tips:
- Dust mites and fleas can be killed by washing your sheets in very hot water — 130° or hotter.
- Some people say the smell of mint deters mice from entering a home.
- Diatomaceous earth is a powder that is made up of the bodies and shells of tiny abrasive sea creatures. Spreading this on your carpets can puncture the soft bodies of fleas or other insects and eventually kill them.
- If you draw a line around your home with spices like cayenne pepper, there are some insects like ants that may not cross it.
However, if you’re having a severe infestation, it is unlikely that you’ll be able to bring the problem under control without an enormous amount of energy, time, and diligent work. It’s safe to say that most of us don’t have enough hours in the day as it is – so maybe it’s time to call for help.
Pest Control Treatments
Preventive Pest can help with some of the following treatments to help mitigate your pest problem:
- Bait can be shared in an insect nest and is an extremely effective way of safely wiping out a colony.
- Synthetic insecticides that the EPA says have a low environmental impact.
- Traps and deterrents, like what we use to prevent pigeons from nesting in the nooks and crannies of your home, are effective, yet humane alternatives.
The goal with any environmentally friendly pest control service should be to partner with your and your family to create and implement a plan that keeps you comfortable and safe.
Preventive Pest Control is Green Certified
At Preventive Pest our goal is to keep your family safe, both from the bugs that are bugging you and your pets and from any chemicals that you feel are harmful. We are LEED and green certified, and offer natural treatments for pests that can benefit your family. Contact us today for a completely free assessment and pest mitigation plan.